Although Lateral Epicondylitis is known as tennis elbow and people think that this is the cause, it can be caused by a number of activities.
Overuse of the extensor tendon and the extensor carpi radialis brevis; inflammation leads to microtears of tendon & subsequent fibrosis are the most common causes.
What can cause Tennis Elbow?
Tennis Elbow can be caused by a number of things including:
- Handling tools heavier than 1 kg
- Handling loads heavier than 20 kg at least 10 times per day
- Repetitive movements more than 2 hrs/day
- Tennis, typing, gardening (hedge trimmers)
- For tennis players: risk of overuse injury increased 2-3X with more than 2hrs of play per week & increase is 2-4X greater in players over age 40
- Video games, musical instruments
- Carpenters/plumbers/electricians (hammers)
Our sports massage treatment may help you.